Monday, November 5, 2007

Corporate Excess at its Finest.

Like so many of my generation, I will be an eternal child, I eat candy much more than I should, I get extremely excited when I hear the music from "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" in some commercial that's been airing alot lately, I refuse to dress up for work, and I was raised on Disney movies. Disney movies, Disney characters, the whole hypnotic, wide-eyed, fairy dust shtick. For better or worse, it's a part of me. I can either beat it out of my subconscious with mind-numbing cynicism, or I can be aware that even though yes technically Disney is attempting to create a fascist Utopia by actually creating their own towns, the "magic" of the brand (and the thousands of no doubt underpaid employees working to create that magic) is what makes them so damn fascinating. I mean, just look at this Annie Liebovitz portrait of Roger Federer for the latest Disney campaign. The whole series is breathtaking, just like the allure of Disney. For better or worse. Here are the rest of them. I especially love Julie Andrews as the Blue Fairy. Here is also a list of what exactly Disney owns.
That's a whole lot of fairy dust.

images via (Disney of course) & Super Punch
links via Wikipedia & Focused Rant

No comments: